Before anyone come at me or strangle me to death, the reason to why I say I might not read the series that I’m going list out is totally personal. Plus, honestly, these series have tons of great reviews and their fan base is HUGE! Just because I might not pick them up, doesn’t mean I hate them or I have anything against the authors.
I will lay out the reasons right under the list of the book series. So, before anyone is getting upset, please read everything on this post and then, you may leave your opinion, or maybe you wanna try persuade me to change my mind, let me know in the comment section! 🙂
Let’s get to the hyped book series that I might not read ever(?), in no particular order.
- Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare
- Illuminae Files Series by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
- ACOTAR Series by Sarah J. Maas
- Villain Series by V.E Schwab
- Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas
These are mainly the reasons why I might not read them, which are 100% personal and not every reason applies to all the series:
- I am a standalone reader. I hardly read any series to be honest. I only read very few of them, and thank God that I somehow ended up loving them.
2. I have very short attention span and I have problem at remembering stuff. I find it really hard to recall events and especially characters. I’m sucks at remembering who is who, what’s their name, what are the characters doing in the series. Can you imagine if I read TOG series and I got to, let’s say book 4, this is basically how it’s going to be like:
me: Oh, Dorian?
also me: Who is Dorian again?
me: What is he doing in this series? Can someone tell me?
Btw, I’m not sure when Dorian comes in or at what point in the series he starts to exist. So, I’m just assuming. Please forgive me.
3. My bank account balance. Let’s be honest, this is like every reader’s struggle. I might not have that much cash to invest in lengthy series and not knowing whether I will enjoy every single book in the series. Hence, this explains why I prefer standalone.
4. Less damage done. When I read a standalone, if it’s not good, then it’s not good. I’ll be fine and move on. However, if I read a series that’s going on, which seems like eternally; first, the wait and secondly, if I read the first one and I really liked it, then the expectation will go really high for the sequel. Thus, if the second book is not as good as the first one, I’ll end up like this:
5. Last but not least, the world building. I don’t really know much about world building, but I am not easy to be convinced by a fantasy world. If it’s not well supported or explained, I might find myself struggling to believe in the world created. This has happened over some other books before. However, I know that this last point is not valid coming from me, whom never read any of the book I’ve listed and bear in mind, this may not apply to every single series mentioned above. But I watched Kat from paperbackdreams’s video on her critical review of Kingdom of Ash and I was like, I might not pick up the series because of what she mentioned about the world building in the series.
So, there you go, my 5 core reasons for probably not picking up these series ever (or any time in the nearest future). These are totally just me and some of you whom might be one of the author’s fan will be like, “What is she even talking about?”. Well, I just gotta get it out of my chest and I think I rarely (or never) see readers write or talk anything similar to this before. So, I thought maybe I should be among the very few ones who do it.
Thank you so much for reading this post (if you ever get to this far). See you in my next post! 🙂